Sunday, September 21, 2008

you cant go home again.


in transit from the pitch 'n putt to dinner chez maz, i saw a lot of yankee fans on the 4 train, on their way to the last game - ever - at the current yankee stadium.

seeing them was not unemotional for me.

i had wanted to make it to one game this year to say goodbye (i usually see two at least, anyway), but never got around to it. my bad.

nevertheless, closure doesnt have to happen in such an orchestrated manner. that's something im learning.

so im gonna keep this simple. my two best memories of the house that ruth built:

1. sophomore year, i took a flat F on a genetics midterm at u of m to fly back to nyc to see game 2 of the 98 world series. not only did the bombers win, but bernie baseball, my all-time favorite player, hit a dinger. at the time, i justified my decision to take the zero by telling my mom that seeing the once-in-a-generation record-setting 98 yanks in the world series would be a much better story for my grandkids than some genetics midterm. boy was i right. so glad i did that.

2. i refer to an old post of mine. i cant tell it any better now than i did then, so here it is.

goodnight yankee stadium. thank you for being my sanctuary from the world.

No comments: